To inspire discovery, connection, learning, and growth in our community.
Hailey Public Library Values
- We value friendly and accessible customer service.
- We offer a welcoming, open and comfortable facility in which the community can receive library services.
- We respect diversity of opinions, ideas and information.
- We guard the customers’ right to privacy.
- We honor the right and responsibility of parents and guardians to direct the use of library resources and services for their children.
- We respect the history, cultural values and aesthetic appreciation within our community.
- We encourage learning to enhance the quality of life.
- We value employees by offering opportunities for growth and self-improvement.
Hailey Public Library Vision Statement
The Hailey Public Library will nurture the community by providing access to enlightening programs; a current and high interest collection of materials in a variety of formats; and the essential technological tools needed to participate and compete in today’s digital world. We will maintain a safe and welcoming environment and support staff motivated to offer excellent service.
A History of the Library
In February of 1919, the Hailey Civic Improvement Club, under the leadership of Mrs. J.C. Fox, met to formulate plans for the establishment of a public library. An unpretentious ground floor room was rented for $5.00 a month in the old Idaho National Bank building, on the north corner of Main and West Bullion, sandwiched between The Vogue Shoppe and the Assayer’s office. Many prominent ladies in the community were involved in the initial establishment of Hailey Public Library. A book drive was organized to provide a library on a small scale, while the civic-minded ladies assured the public “with the cooperation of our many progressive citizens we feel assured of a rapid growth”. The first librarian was Miss Nettie Mallory, assisted at times by Miss Edith Ensign.
Less than 8 years later, the entire building and its contents, were destroyed by fire, early in February, 1927. The fire was discovered in the ground-floor dress shop in early morning, and friends of the library soon had a horse-drawn sleigh at the library entrance, with the intention of removing the collection to safety. However, the chief of the fire department refused to allow them to open the door, fearing that the drought would cause the fire to spread through the building. In spite of this precaution, the fire was not contained and the structure collapsed.
Within a week, another “Help the Library” fund was established; the “Legion Loonies of 1927” (an annual amateur variety show) used this as their slogan and contributed their proceeds. After the fund and book drives had been completed, the Hailey Free Public Library was re-established in an old assayer’s office at the west corner of 1st Avenue North and Bullion, on property deeded to the City of Hailey for use as a library.
Information provided by the Mallory Collection Files